Gibson ES-175 Broken Neck

on . Posted in Repairs

 

 

This beautiful jazz guitar is owned by Mr. Dieter Jagiela. He happens to be one of Northeast Ohio's better blues guitarist. He has toured internationally with some of music's finest. On one of the flights back from a tour this guitar had met a very unfortunate accident.Badly_broken_neck_do_to_airline_baggage_handlers

It's hard to tell from the first couple of pictures ,but the neck was severely broken due to bad baggage handling at the airport. We all have heard of this happening , but here is positive proof that it is extremely important to take every precaution available to protect your instrument when you are travelling. I have even heard of musicians paying for an extra seat so that the instrument does not have to be subjected to the dreaded "baggage handlers" In this case it might of prevented this accident.

I am lucky to have a professional player that brings me his most prized possessions when they have problems.This is a early 70's Gibson ES-175 with a broken neck.

I removed the tuning machines so that I could properly repair the neck . The break doesn't seem that bad from the front 

It always pays to buy the extra insurance when your travelling on the airlines with your valuable instrument. If not, it can be very difficult to get reimbursed for damages. This really is as bad as it looks. Ouch!

I could not get the break to close up as tight as I like it to be. I thought there was an obstruction

After a very close inspection , I saw that a previous repair with a very hard epoxy and a misalignment of the broken wood chips had prevented the joint from closing up tightly  clamping-fig-1  As you can see I try to use cauls when ever I can. If I could of fit more clamps on there I would have
 clamping-fig-2  Here is another view of my clamping procedure  glue-squeeze-out  There is a small amount of glue squeeze out after I initially wiped the major amount of glue off
 glue-squeeze-out-2  Another view of the treble side of the neck. seeing the glue escape evenly through the break is a good sign that you have a good glue distribution  tight-fitting-glue-joint  After glueing the neck there was some missing wood that needed to be filled
 cleat-template  I made this cleat template to rout out the slots in the neck to be able to reinforce the neck  slots-routed  Here the slots have been routed out to the proper depth. Note the slot on the right is wider on its left side . This was done to fill in more missing wood
slot-depth It is important to get as deep as you can to strenghten the joint with a tight fitting cleat slot-depth-2 This is another view of the depth of the left slot
cleats-for-slots This a picture of the two cleats that were cut to match the slots with the same template . They are a perfect matched inlay glueing-cleats The cleats are being glued home for a perfect fit to insure stability of the repair
cleats-fitted Cleats have been glued and are ready for shaping to fit neck profile   
cleats_with_filler   This picture shows the cleats after they have been filled with wood filler, sanded, and ready for toner
finished_with_tobacco_brown_toner 4 or 5 coats of tobacco brown lacquer toner has been sprayed with 3 coats of clear on top of that headstock_finished_clear The headstock was also sprayed with 3 coats of clear laquer to freshen things up a bit
back_of_headstock You can't see the cleats in this closeup view of the finish after about 8 days back-headstock-2 Another view shows how I faded the tobacco brown into the original finish
headstock_2 This is the way it's supposed to look like new-nut-installed The nut was replaced because the old one didn't fit properly after I had cleaned out the old nut slot
Deiter_Jagiela This is Dieter Jagiela intensely playing the blues. I only wish you could hear this because he is such an awesome player a-happy-customer I'm glad to say that Dieter walked away as another Happy Customer!